Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day

We don't really do the whole chocolates and flowers thing around here.
I learned early on that P-Daddy is more of a spontaneous romantic, eschewing the manufactured love of this over merchandised holiday. 
i <3 u (theaearl)
And I say, that's cool. Or at least I pretend to.....but what I really do is hope that he'll surprise me by doing something romantically unlike him. Maybe present me with a clever little love note or make me a bubble bath or carve my likeness into a French triple milled soap...well, not really. That would be taking it too far. Romance can get creepy.

Lucky for me (and him) he has announced that he wants to cook dinner tonight to be enjoyed à deux. I am delighted. And curious. And glad that I like steak and fries.

Valentine's Day love is that fleeting, romantic first spark of passion. And that's not to be missed.
Every Day love warms you up with its slow burn, spreads outward to your children and feels good when you get in bed with freezing cold feet.
I'll take it any day.

In honor of my four true loves I made a little love heart board for you to enjoy here.

I saw this painted mug project on Sarah Fritzler's blog via DesignMom. She painted her favorite quotes from Jane Austen books onto coffee and chocolat chaud mugs. This is my favorite one. Romantic.
sarahfritzler.blogspot.com
This then, made me think of some of my favorite lines from romantic songs. I thought I'd share a few with you. What are some of yours?

'Fall like a sparrow, fly like a dove. You must be the dream I've been dreaming of.' Don Williams

'In other words. I. Love. ... You.' Frank Sinatra

'Let your love come tumbling down. If you let your love come tumbling down, It's alright.' Van Morrison

'You make me smile with my heart.' Chet Baker

'Breathe out so I can breathe you in.'Foo Fighters

'Sunlight shimmering love.' Counting Crows

'Light in my head and you in my arms.' Waterboys

'Passionate kisses, passionate kisses, passionate kisses...from you.' Mary Chapin Carpenter

I painted one onto a porcelain mug for P-Daddy as a little surprise for later but in true Aidan fashion it turned out kinda wonky. See for yourself.

In other words...
i love you


Do you have romantic or purposefully unromantic plans for today?






6 comments:

  1. I don't like feeling under obligation to do something and nor does F. In fact I just sent him a jolly e-card from jimpix.co.uk. He wasn't expecting it so it was a nice surprise.

    In the past, I've taken ideas from articles en passant just because they looked cool. If I find nothing I do nothing. F does nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Aidan. A creative idea, certainly (even it turned out a bit "wonky") and a thoughtful gesture. Happy Valentine's day to you and P-Daddy! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you liked the idea! Thanks for sharing your mug! — I love the idea of song lyrics! And I think it looks great and I love the bright red and pink. :)

    p.s. Isn't it harder than it looks? Who knew writing on a round surface was so tricky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I survive on the breath you are finished with..." John Mayer

    I agree that every day love is something to be grateful for. Wish I'd seen the mug idea earlier! Will remember for next year. I thought yours was lovely. Homemade cards are the order of the day here. And I was out at a course, so himself made a lovely dinner which we enjoyed at 11 pm! (Thankfully it was fairly light.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite romantic line ever... "because she's the cheese and I'm the macaroni" courtesy of Ad Rock and the Beastie Boys.
    And, as much as I don't like my men all mushy mush, I still think we need to send P-Daddy and G-Ton to some sort of class x

    ReplyDelete
  6. "How can I breathe without you" which I think is Shania Twain (useless with names).
    And love was husband spending hours in the kitchen making chocolate dipped truffles - and clearing up afterwards!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.