Sunday, February 20, 2011

Seasonal Sunday--Feel Better Chipotle Chicken Tacos

We've been gripped by la grippe here Chez Nous. That yucky feeling always makes me want spicy food. Usually I  make a chicken soup with lime and peppers to knock out the bug. This time I didn't feel like doing the soup thing so I whipped this up. It was super spicy and perfect. Of course you don't have to be sick to enjoy it--just ready for something with a kick of heat.
If you're here in France you may be able to find chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the foreign food section of a large grocery store. Thankfully, I have a world food market nearby where I buy mine. One of my favorites, Homesick Texan, cooks chicken wings in a mayo/chipotle marinade and so I thought it would work well here.

Feel Better Chipotle Chicken Tacos

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/4 c. mayonaisse
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons of the adobo sauce
squeeze of lime
sprig of coriander/cilantro

Combine above ingredients, smushing the pepper up with a fork. Marinate chicken breasts strips while you get on with the rest.

Meanwhile, sautee

1 small onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
dash of salt

Add chicken to the pan, cooking through. If you want it even spicier then add one more pepper and another teaspoon of the adobo sauce to the cooked chicken.

6 corn tortillas
In a small frying pan add a big glug of sunflower oil and let it get hot. Brown/fry each tortilla in turn careful not to burn yourself or the tortillas. Immediately fold the hot tortillas into a taco shape and leave to cool.

When you're ready to eat stir 2 tblsp of sour cream into the chicken and a final squeeze of lime.
Serve with your freshly browned tacos, avocado slices, shredded mozzarella cheese, lime slices for squeezing and more sour cream to cut the heat.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry you have been under the weather! This looks absolutely fab and I wish I could have some right now!!--with my morning coffee! Y-U-M!!! I have been craving Tex-Mex since moving to France--we can only get very minimal ingredients here in Normandy--a few 'Old El Paso' items if we are lucky-I haven't been able to find chili powder or cumin....Quelle dommage...Have a great Sunday!
    xx, C

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's not really fair to post this when the ingredients are hard to come by...I am working on ways to make tex-mex things here with what we can find.
    I can't find chile powder here either and was thinking of making my own. I'll let you know of course. but no cumin?! what is wrong with normandy? make me a list and I'll set you up.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am drooling! That looks so good. I agree with Carie, don't torture us with things we find so difficult to cook here! :) And if you do find a way to make your own chile powder, include me not eh list of people to notify!!

    Bonne dégustation,
    Charley

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely making this one night soon! x

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.