Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

If you've ever been a kid, babysat for kids, or have some of your own, then you've no doubt read a Dr Seuss book.
Aloud.
And often.
{courtesy: childrensclassics.com.au}
We've read and read and read them through three children and sometimes just for fun as a reminder of how patient, brave and faithful is Horton or to twist our tongues into knots. I mean, seriously. Try reading Fox in Socks aloud the next time you're having a bad day. You can't keep from smiling!
 
The big kids each have a favorite Dr Seuss book but they went through an obsession with every one in our library before singling out the one to hold onto forever.

Ma Fille's is Horton Hatches the Egg. We read it so many times, over and over again, that when she was only three she could recite it as I turned the pages.

{googleimages}

The Middlest loves Green Eggs and Ham. I think it's all the action and coercion and finally, aha! He likes it!
My Middlest, as you all know, is a great trier of things.
The idea of  tasting the green eggs and ham even though you're not sure and having it pay off big time in the end makes him laugh; he of the pig brains.

{googleimages}


The Littlest is currently on a One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish kick so that's our bedtime reading. He insisted on taking it to school and his teacher said they tried to translate it into French using the pictures. Can you imagine how that went?
It makes me giggle to think of it.

{childrensbooksguide.com}

I'm not sure what he will settle on but he sure did love the grinchidy Grinch and his too small heart this past Christmas.

In honor of the great man and his wacky, tongue twisting, imaginative and delightful words, here are some of my family's favorite quotes.

'FATHER MOTHER
SISTER BROTHER.......That one is my other brother.', Hop On Pop

'Take is SLOWLY.
This Book is DANGEROUS!', Fox in Socks

'Get yourself a Ga-Zoom. You can go with a....BOOM!
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin! Will you leave this room!', Marvin K. Mooney Will you PLEASE GO NOW!

'If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.', One fish two fish red fish blue fish

'Very well, then, Mr. Knox, sir.
Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles....', Fox in Socks

'It's something brand new! It's an elephant-bird!!
And it should be, it should be, it SHOULD be like that!
Because Horton was faithful! He sat and he sat!',    Horton Hatches the Egg

And my personal favorite thing to say when things are just a bit too much...
'All the noise, noise, Noise, NOISE!', How the Grinch Stole Christmas

There's a story over at the Christian Science Monitor with their idea of his top ten.
It's a good list.

What would you add?

5 comments:

  1. You should get the French version of Horton Hears a Who. It's, of course, not a direct translation but the cool thing is it was translated in the same spirit and the fun play with words. Have a great weekend, Aidan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green, Eggs, and Ham has always been my favorite :)
    And I'm thinking that next weekend we should do some Dr Seuss reading, because I can guarantee that G has never read one or had one read to him. I think it would be fun! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Aidan. My 12-year old was born in the US, so he was introduced to Dr Seuss early. I remember one of his favorites - they still sit on shelf in his bedroom - was "Are you my Mother?" -- Bon weekend! Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delana,
    I have to have a look at that. I was thinking how hard it would be to translate some of them, esp ones that rhyme so much like Hop on Pop.
    Gotta try that potato salad..off to read it now.
    bon weekend,
    aidan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten about these great books - thanks for the reminder!
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.