Friday, March 30, 2012

Venice--Bridges, Doors and Windows

{Venice, Italy bridge larsons}
The most spectacular thing to me about Venice was the architecture; a visual history lesson with Baroque, Byzantine, and Gothic all lined up side by side, looming and reflecting in the shallow canal water.
{Venice, Italy doors}
{Venice, Italy windows}
I loved how the bricks, layered beneath stucco, showed through from years of erosion and humidity. The textures and colors ground this floating city and making it seem less precarious.

{Venice, Italy doors}
There were hidden lanes and low arches leading to secret doors all over the city. I couldn't resist peeking into them and wondering what human dramas have unfolded in these tucked away nooks.

{Venice, Italy bridges}

The shutters and balconettes frame windows that look out over grey-green water, bridges and boats carrying people and goods from place to place.


{Venice, Italy bridges}
{Venice, Italy windows}
The reflections of buildings and bridges in the water are stunning; views blurring the line between art and reality.

{Venice, Italy French windows}
 I had to snap this one of my adopted country's flag.

{Venice, Italy doors and reflected square}
And for all the talk and reputation as a city where you will get lost, it never happened to us. We tried even, but couldn't manage it. It's easier to follow markers in your surroundings than street signs that shift and change, plus it's quite small with square after square to help guide you on. Try as we might, there was no getting lost in Venice.

{Venice, Italy windows}
Some buildings looked so much like what you'd expect that they almost felt staged, fake, like I was standing on a movie set of Venice. Not many people live here year-round and you can feel that. It is very much a city powered by tourists.

{Venice, Italy windows}   







3 comments:

  1. Aidan, I was just saying to Remi this morning that I think that if I went to Venice I would never come back!

    Bon weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Italy windows are beautiful. All these pictures are so inspiring <3

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.