Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Kismet

Back before we had kids I worked as a teacher among other things. But when I was pregnant with Ma Fille I was in teacher mode and I taught elementary school. I loved it and felt like I'd finally found my niche.

I'm telling you this because I keep thinking about how life works in such weird ways.You know we've always had a thing for France. Always wanted to live here, blah, blah, blah. But did you know that while I was teaching, little girl cooking away on the inside, I had a student from France? She was the same age as Ma Fille is now and she was thrown into English public school without a word of our language. Interesting reversaroo, huh?

When I was Marie's teacher I was sympathetic to all the changes she was facing. I was extra sweet to her, spent time talking with her mom about how she was doing and stayed after school three days a week to help her along with English. I remember we would just talk about different things, nothing special really. Just time spent one-on-one speaking and practicing her second language. I had no idea that some day my baby girl (plus two brothers) would be going through the same things. And we've been blessed with a wonderful school and kind, patient teachers who are doing the same things I did back then.

As I watch them skip off to French school, happy as can be, holding hands and chattering away in crazy Franglish with their friends I think of Marie and her family. What a crazy life this is that I'd be here in France standing by in awe as my kids become bilingual.

After Ma Fille was born I didn't go back to teaching. I don't know what ever happened to Marie's family; if they're back here in France or still living happily in Texas. I do know that life is crazy and that there are myriad connections we just can't see, guiding and shaping, waiting for us to trust, dive in, let go.

1 comment:

  1. Life is can be truly bizarre. I feel like you met Marie to help you in your life now. Totally kismet!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.