Monday, January 6, 2014

Bonne Année

2014 has a nice ring to it.

I have to say that there was something not so bloggy about the last year, the one that's over, the one that has been unrung and ended with a 13. I did like it though. I got a lot done. But it sort of flew by in a way that, quite frankly, makes me a little nervous. My goal is to hang on tight to this one and ride it for all it's worth like the cowboys from my East Texas hometown. But, I digress.



One of the things that kept me away from blogging life was that (insert drum roll like in Christmas Vacation when Clark tries to plug in all his twinkly lights) I wrote a book. A manuscript. Women's Fiction novel. Whatever you'd like to call it, feel free. I spent the better part of the year wrapped up in someone else's life. Making new friends (in my mind...) and orchestrating delicious meals, complicated scenarios, make-out sessions and difficult decisions. It was fun. And a lot less boring and lonely than just staying put in the real world all the time.



I have it spit-shined and polished and it has been shared with friends and strangers alike. I have joyfully ridden the finding a literary agent roller coaster. I'm still on it and am very grateful to have a few lovely agents reading it in full now. It is incredible to know that my imaginings, painstakingly strung together words, and wake-me-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night ideas are being decided upon somewhere over there in North America. Thrilling! But, while I wait patiently for the feedback and possibilities of grand and wonderful opportunities, I have to keep on going. Eating more French food, feeding my family with flights of fancy combinations, learning to speak and understand the most beautiful language of all, and well, writing another book.


I've started putting new words together today. If you'll allow me, I will update weekly on my progress. But I will also share some more recipes, a few stories of family travel, maybe a thing or two about the beautiful snow-nosed Clementine, and any inappropriate things I inadvertently say to all of the French people around me.

Welcome 2014, come this way. I'm here with open arms.


Happy New Year!

Aidan xo

10 comments:

  1. I always feel a spike of joy when a post shows up on my blog reader from someone who hasn't posted in awhile. There's also a bit of fear that it will be the goodbye message and another blog I love goes away. Luckily this is a welcome back message :)

    So cool to hear about the book. I have tried to be a writer and it can be both draining and exhilarating. Good luck on finding an agent.
    Maybe 2014 is the year I finally write my novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      What a nice welcome back. |I have to admit I was worried this post would go unnoticed after all my time away. Thank you so much. I hope 2014 is your year. Any story ideas?
      Best,
      Aidan

      Delete
    2. I have the novel mostly plotted out. I did it a couple of years ago. I've started it two different times but always end up distracted or unhappy with what I've written. It's a thriller that starts in Monaco and goes along the riviera ending in Rome.

      Delete
  2. Bonne année to you to. I thought you had disappeared from blogging and gone back to the US! I'm so glad you're still in France and back telling us your news.
    Congratulations on the book, I don't know how you found the time?! I'm excited for you and wait in anticipation on the verdict of the 'experts' and the publishing date........I need a new good read :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the book!! Happy New Year to you and your family!! Yes, 2014 - make it a GREAT year!! So happy for you and so excited that you will be sharing more of your journey with us in the future. Take care and thanks for the update!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year to all the lovely Larsons! I'm very excited for you with the book - I can't wait to hear how it goes. With the instant gratification of blogging, the publishing industry feels sooooo sloooooow. You're such a good girl to be working on your next one already.
    Love to you all and have a fantastic 2014!
    P.S. Love the new blog design too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were working on a book (you must have mentioned it at some point,) so I was not too worried, but I missed hearing from you, Aidan. Welcome back in the blogosphere. I am very impressed you wrote a book while taking care of your family and living in a foreign country. Women are, clearly, great multi-taskers. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and wish the best of luck in 2014. I could not wait to see 2013 go. I have a good feeling about the new year as well. Hugs, Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There you are! I was wondering what you were up to. Well done on writing and finishing your book, and getting it out there. I hope its progress goes well.

    Happy New Year to you with good health and happiness in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bonjour Aidan! Loving the new blog design, well done my dear friend! I am looking forward to hearing about your new novel, as well as reading about your adventures in the South of France! Bisous! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.