Sunday, December 11, 2011

Seasonal Sunday--Egg Nog or Lait de Poule

At the school pick-up the other day a friend of mine asked me to explain something she'd seen while watching soap operas. The soap opera in question was 'Le Feu d'Amour'. Turns out that's French for The Young and the Restless. Sounds sexier in French, non? Most things do.

And then some things don't.
The thing in question is an example of when translations go bad.
There ain't nothing sexy about this.

That day on Le Feu d'Amour the beautifully troubled soap opera people were celebrating the holidays by drinking a special drink. 'What is lait de poule'?, asked my perplexed friend. Chicken milk?!, thought I. What the heck is she talking about? There's no such thing as chicken milk. This quickly became a song that the big kids and I sang all the way home....'there's no such thing as chicken milk, chicken milk, chicken milk'. You get the idea.

But when I got to thinking about it the answer came to me. The only thing it could be is obvious. A drink specific to the holiday season that comes from a chicken can only be one thing.

Egg nog.

And so, my friends. Grab your mixer, a bottle of whiskey, some eggs and cream and get busy. Today's your lucky Chicken Milk day!

The recipe above is my Grandmother's. We made it on Wednesday night while decorating our tree and it was delicious. So that the kids could have some too, we made the recipe minus the whiskey and then divided it into two parts. Then we spiked the grown-up one. Believe me, you need the shot of whiskey to cut the heavy richness. Chicken milk is some rich stuff.

Egg Nog (Lait de Poule)

6 eggs, separated
1 1/2 or 3 oz. whiskey
6 tablespoons sugar
1 pint whipping cream or crème entière if you're here in France
Beat egg yolks and mix with sugar.
Whip cream separately and fold into egg yolks and sugar.
Beat egg whites until stiff and then fold into the above mixture.
Top with nutmeg and blend.
Separate mixture into two parts, one virgin and one to be spiked.
Add in 1 1/2 oz whiskey to the grown up pitcher.

OR if you're making it only for the grownups, add the 3 oz of whiskey to the entire mixture and serve. No need to separate or cut down on the booze.







4 comments:

  1. Um, ok... yum!!!

    I've always detested the expression "lait de poule" even though I've always loved eggnog. Thanks to your recipe, I feel like I can finally find peace between the two extremes... Merci !!

    Bon dimanche & bises d'Annecy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to make some chicken milk for my belle-mere.... might even give your Grandmother's recipe a try :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEwww... Lait de poule, really? I had no idea that is what my countrymen called eggnog. In fact, to be honest, I had never had eggnog until I moved to the United States. Sometimes, the guys who dub TV shows are a little bit too... creative. ;) Veronique (French Girl in Seattle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried eggnog - the whole raw egg thing kind of throws me. But if you vouch for it, I'll give it a go. Aidan's never wrong when it comes to food (petrol is another thing altogether...). I guess the whiskey hides the eggy flavour quite nicely. Three cheers for whiskey!

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.