Tuesday, May 17, 2011

New Idea & Feature

I've been thinking. This sentence sends shivers of dread through Mon Mari. He never knows what it is I've come up with this time....and if it means he has something to do.
This time, I've been thinking. And it's me that will have to get busy.

You know how I said that I like to read French cookbooks and magazines to work on my French in a fun way? Well. What if I do a post a few times a week with a dinner recipe in French and English? Brilliant, non?

For you, really I am only thinking of all of you, this will mean a fun, French lesson PLUS a recipe to try. And for me, it's a chance to work on my French and a way to be more organized with weekly dinners.

Without further ado.....

Mardi Recette--Cake au Chorizo et aux Pomme de Terres


150g chorizo doux
150g de farine
2 cuilliere de soupe levure
3 oeufs
10 cl de lait ou creme legere
12 cl d'huile de tournesol
4 pomme de terres du salade
sel et poivre



Préchauffez le four à  180C/350F.
Éplucher et blanchir les pommes de terre jusqu'à tendreté et coupez-les. Coupez le chorizo en tout petits morceaux.

Chauffez 2 cl d’huile dans une poêle et ajoutez les pommes de terre et les morceaux de chorizo et laissez cuire 1 minute. Égouttez-les.

Cassez les œufs dans un saladier et fouettez-les. Incorporez dans l’ordre la farine, la levure, l’huile et le lait en mélangeant.
Ajoutez le chorizo et les pommes de terre dans la pâte. Salez, poivrez et mélangez. Pas trop sel car le chorizo est déjà salé.

Tapissez un moule à cake de papier sulfurisé. Versez-y la préparation.
Enfournez et faites cuire pour 45 à 55 minutes. Vérifiez la cuisson avec la lame d’un couteau. Sortez le cake du four et démoulez-le. 
Servez tiède ou froid.

Tuesday Recipe--Chorizo & Potato Cake

5 oz mild chorizo
5 oz flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
3 eggs
1/4 cup or 3.5 fl oz milk or light cream
1/4 cup or 3/5 fl oz  plus 1 tablespoon of sunflower oil
4 salad potatoes
salt and pepper



Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.

Peel and parboil the potatoes until just fork tender and cut them into small pieces. Cut the chorizo into small pieces.


Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a pan and add the parboiled potatoes and chorizo pieces. Let cook 1 minute.
Drain excess oil.


Break the eggs into a bowl and beat them. Add in the flour, baking powder, remaining sunflower oil and milk in that order. Mix well. 
Add the chorizo and potatoes. Salt and pepper and mix. Easy on the salt because the chorizo is already salty.


Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour in the batter. 
Cook for 45 to 55 minutes. Test the doneness of the cake by sticking the point of a knife into the center. Take the cake out of the oven and remove it from the loaf pan. 
Serve warm or cold.




Any errors in conversion or French are mine. We're having this with green beans and a salad. And a glass of Côte du Rhône.

8 comments:

  1. Yay this is awesome for me because you do al the conversion work !! (I ALWAYS estimate because i hate converting!) Looks yummy Aidan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I too am reluctant to convert measurements especially in baking--oven temps, grams to cups...I have cut way back on using recipes since moving to France...now I will have no excuse!

    Merci! Have a great week Aidan! (Keep layering on the SUN-screen down there!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's that word "fouet" again. Wow - you know how to "whoop it up" - see how funny I am (not) while my espresso machine is warming up? I LOVE your idea! I don't know if we knew each other the last time I tried 'cooking' in France - http://valunboxed.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-boil-water-by-one-each-femme-fou.html - but a great way to learn, AND I will never forget what a "fouet" is and that I am "folle." Brava, Aidan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. J'aime bien cette nouvelle idée =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bravo Aidan, une très bonne idée!
    I love the idea of this potato cake, maybe I can replace ordinary flour with rice flour. I will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at you being all bilingual like! It's a fantastic idea.
    And every time G says to me, "I've been thinking..." I always say, "did it hurt? " Makes me laugh every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to make an entree for a picnic on Sunday. This is just perfect.
    Was the cake red?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Have you ever checked out Cuisine & Vins? I have a stack of those, with a pretty good recipe success rate...

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.