Thursday, October 28, 2010

White Bean & Bacon Soup

Because the kids are home for half-term and I'm having to share the computer between Club Penguin and Selena Gomez videos (ugh), I don't have much news or time.
So, rather than do nothing, I thought I'd share a recipe with you. To be honest I threw this together within minutes because I was freezing cold and fancied some warm soup. This being said, you will probably be able to do the same. Most of us have these ingredients in our cupboards.
Try it, it's perfect for a sunny, crisp autumn day.

White Bean & Bacon Soup
with roasted red peppers and goat cheese


1 package lardons or 4 pieces of bacon cut into strips
small chopped white onion
clove of garlic, chopped
teaspoon thyme (i am just really into thyme right now but you could use rosemary if you prefer)
chicken stock cube or canned chicken stock to cover beans
1 lg can of white or cannelini beans, rinsed
jarred roasted red peppers
soft goat cheese
olive oil for drizzling

Brown your bacon or lardons in a glug of olive oil with the garlic and onion. 5-7 minutes
Add the thyme and chicken stock cube, crumbled up.
Rinse the beans and add them to the pot with just enough water to cover them. Or the canned chicken stock if you're using it instead of stock cubes.
Stir and bring to a simmer.
Remove half soup mixture to a blender and blitz or use a hand held mixer to blend it up in the cooking pot. If you do this, leave some of the beans intact...and by this I mean don't liquify the whole thing. It's not the end of the world if you do but the texture of a few beans is nice.
Scoop warm ladle fulls of creamy soup into a bowl.
Chop up a jarred red pepper or two and add to the top with a spoon of soft goat cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
Serve with buttered baguette. Scrumptious.
Littlest says, 'mmmmmm'

My favorite type of food is peasant food like this. Nothing beats some beans and pork mixed together in my opinion. And the kids like it too.

Note: here in France you can't get canned broth so I use cubes but if you're in America I'm sure you have a can of chicken broth in your kitchen. Also, I can't remember if you can find cut up bacon in the US but that's what I'm talking about when I say lardons.

1 comment:

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.