Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chocolate Chicken Boobies + Yummy Brownies

It's been chocolate city around here lately. The French would say that I have a family of gourmands.
That just means that all my people really like sweets in general and chocolate specifically. Me, I can take it or leave it. Chocolate that is. But show me a tarte au citron and I'm a glutton.

Do you remember my neighborhood boulangerie? I talk about it often. It even got a valuable minute or so on our House Hunters International episode. If you saw it you'll remember the patisserie and chocolate; the glass case filled with delicate nibbles of airy meringues, pink marzipan piggies, and diminutive chocolate tarts with whipped cream crowns.

You may recall too, that they do a lottery for a gigantic chocolate sculpture at Easter. If not, you can read about it here.

This year was different in that they had two chocolate prizes to win.

First Prize was a BIG chocolate mama chicken surrounded by adorable chocolate baby chicks in yellow fondant hats and cardigans with sugar pearls for lace trim and buttons. Sweet.
Second Prize was a smaller (but still over a foot tall) chicken, with a big head and a round belly covered in a pink fondant bustier with fondant ties just barely covering two chocolate chicken boobies stuck right on the front, practically bursting off the coquettish chick's chest. I have to tell you that every time we went into the boulangerie for bread, the Littlest had to be coaxed out in a hypnotic state, mesmerized by sugary boobies.

So, we bought our square in the tombola or lottery this Easter, like we've done for the past two. And then we  bought an extra square, just because.

You know what's coming, right?

That's right, baby! Lucky number 51, cinquante et un! We won the bustiered, boobied chocolate chick.

{see, i wasn't lying about the bustier!}
You can't imagine the hysteria that ensued. Everyone was in a frenzy of chocolate bliss, like the scene at the end of  Chocolat when the ascetic Paul finally succumbs to chocolate temptation and gorges himself, weeping in cocoa laden ecstasy inside the chocolatier window.

The boobies were the first to go.

And, because I'm in a sharing mood, we have found the best ever brownie recipe that must not be made now that the weather has turned nice and it will be too warm for anything but a swimsuit soon. They're aptly named, Mmm-Mmm Better Brownies.

The last time Ma Fille made them, I found this note in the brownie tin.


She says it was meant for P-Daddy. He is the worst gourmand of the bunch, it's true.

If you'd like to try them, here's the recipe from allrecipes.com

Mmm-Mmm Better Brownies

350F/175C
Grease a 9x9 inch pan and put line with parchment paper.

1/2 cup vegetable oil (we use sunflower)
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract ( we use white sugar from a jar that we keep vanilla beans in)
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir into the egg mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts, if desired. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. 


7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the chocolate chicken boobies win, too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, very cool to win the chocolate chicken! Thanks for sharing the brownie recipe. I will definitely try it as I much prefer making home made brownies rather than making those horrible package mixes you find on the grocery store shelves. I bet using a very high % of chocolage cocoa powder will make your brownies devine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think any man (or boy) will complain about winning Chocolate boobies! I chuckle as I try to imagine the same chocolate chicken being raffled off in the States! It would probably get some parental rating or editorial remarks about how it would be corrupting the children of today. Just kidding - it's late, so I'm a bit scarcastic. Thanks for the Brownie recipe. My kids do love them also - so it's always nice to find a good recette! Hope you are enjoying the warmer weather! And PS - my girls would leave the same kind of note for my husband who is also the household sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave it to the French to make a good thing even better.

      Delete
  4. Can't believe you won this year. An unforgettable prize!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a yummy recipe, I will make your brownies for my children (and me, by usimg rice flour).
    Chocolate Boobies would have been the first to go in my family as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michel,
    If you try them, you won't make any other recipe and boxes of powder will be a distant memory. Let me know when you do. I'd love to know if you agree.
    Aidan

    ReplyDelete

It makes my day to read your comments. They're an answer to my floating words in blogland.